Fixitfaster Consumer App
I came onboard Fixitfaster as it was looking to break into the competitive home services sector and was tasked with improving the UX of the Fixitfaster Consumer app. As a home services app, which offered anything from cleaning to babysitting, booking a job was essential to the app experience. Thus refining the booking experience was critical to transforming our customer’s experience.
I led the redesign of Fixitfaster as the sole designer. I was responsible for carrying out all branding, information architecture, wireframing, prototyping, user testing & visual design. I worked closely with the relevant stakeholders & development teams through this project.
It was already apparent that there were several problems with the job booking flow. Having a a brief glance at the data revealed there was a large drop off rate after the second screen. We also heard stories from customer support where users had trouble viewing and selecting service provider profiles.
Old Style Guide
I used a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to form a research plan. While the quantitative methods such as analytics (segment + amplitude) gave us good insights into how many people were progressing through the booking experience they didn’t provide the reasons why. For this we turned to qualitative methods such as usability testing and user interviews.
App Store - Consumer App
Current Booking Flow
Currently there were several issues regarding the apps flow & information architecture that were troublesome. Firstly all the job enquiry information up front meant many users thought they were submitting an official job request. Secondly with too much information in front of the user at one time it was overwhelming.
Flow Option 1
One option was to simply break up the current information into smaller steps over a number of different screens.
Flow Option 2
The second option was to move most of the information back after the Service Provider profiles. We would still need to get the Location data beforehand as that was necessary for displaying the relevant Service Providers.
Flow Option 3 - my hypothesis
The third option was to move most of the information back and to also split it up into more manageable chunks. My hypothesis was that by doing both of these things there would be less discrepancies with users mental modals and they would not be overwhelmed at any point of the booking experience.